Saturday, June 23, 2012

Ceiling

I have been so excited about finally, finally, deciding how to finish the ceiling and having the material on hand that I havent been able to sleep. John and I went out late tonight to find out if this idea would actually work. I have agonized for over a year about how to cover the ceiling and do so cheaply; I have probably spent hundreds of hours calculating weights, beam loads, materials and design. To finally have seized and begun to execute an approach is truly exciting.

First John and I stopped to pick up a Craig'slist power hand planer needed to square the edges and then we stopped at KFC to get him a "mash bowl" - minus cheese and corn of course. We then headed out.

I selected a rough piece of 12 foot knotted pine and trimmed off the edge. I planed all sides and am very pleased with the results and purchase. We sanded the face and sides and then John VARATHANED the face with two coats. Also the edges.

Before it was quite dry we carefully carried it he board into the great room and screwed it to the rafters in the back corner. Lastly we touched up the smudges our hands made in the VARATHANE.

These pics show the process and result.

I absolutely freaked love it. Quite possibly more than I love Dev.




















No comments: