Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Installing windows is a mental exercise like none other....

I haven't much luck installing windows or doors in this house.   Before I start I research how to install and when that particular window or door is done I feel like I screwed up or forgot something.   This window was no exception.  

Thinkin I finally got the whole concept down I "expertly" cut the hole and framed the opening.  I  installed the window top, bottom and sides and then the window itself, adjusting with shims as I went.  It worked beautifully - or so I thought.  When I stepped back to admire the new window, either on the inside or outside of the house, it looked horribly crooked.

I was so convinced it was out of level I didn't bother to check it with a level - although I had while installing.  I was just beginning to tear the whole thing out and start over when Deb had me check the level.  It was dead on, exactly level.  But to the eye it looked dramatically askew.  I didn't question it -  i just stuffed insulation and Great Stuff into the holes and added the drywall. 

Now it looks great - on the inside - but it still looks off outside.  Maybe its the framing that is drawing my eye (no pun intended) to the crookedness.  I won't know until I install the outside window trim. 

Does it look level outside to you?



No comments: