Monday, January 30, 2012


I may not be an electrician, but compared to Dale, (our so called electrician jobber who initially wwired up the house) I am a fricken electrical einstein. 

Never havng done much electrical before other than an occasional outlet or switch, I have had to teach myself how to wire a home.  Acutel aware of my lack of knowledge I have spent many many hours studying wiring, current, amps, circuits, wires, connectors, loads, juncton boxes, fuse panels, underground wiring, GFI's, 220 circuits, grounds, methods, precautions, schemes and how to avoid common mistakes.  Where caution is due I have favored extreme caution and double or even triple checked every connection I've made.   I have a healthy respect for electricity and as a general rule not fearful of it but I am scared to death of a file from a shorted connection, a bare wire or something else I never thought of.  Not to mention working with 220 which DOES scare me to death.  I'm proud though that I was able to wire the 50 amp, ser 6 wire cirucit to the stove and circuit box and also connect the water heater.

So far, cross fingers, no smoke, no fires and no shocks.   Hopefully no one or no dog (ROCCO!) pees into one of the outlets.

No comments: